Calgary Canada is home to very adverse weather conditions that make landscaping Calgary properties very difficult. This part of the world experiences frigid winters and blowing winds that can disrupt plants and bushes. Another effect of Calgary weather is that winds can suddenly blow in warm air that can also disrupt the growth of plants. Therefore, Calgary is an area where constant warming and cooling takes place. Warm temperatures are ideal for plant growth, but rises in temperature followed by rapid drops can be detrimental to plants and landscaping. Cold temperatures make landscaping conditions less than optimal, but there are ways to make landscaping Calgary properties possible and effective.
In order to have success landscaping in Calgary, it is essential that you follow these five basic tips.
- Be aware of you conditions and choose the proper plants. Plants can grow well in Calgary if you choose options that can survive in this harsh environment. For example, Swedish Aspen Trees and birch trees can grow well in Calgary. These types of trees can withstand harsh conditions and require little effort to maintain.
- Take full advantage of shrubbery. Shrubs grow well in Calgary and can be used to cover vast areas of land. Spirea and High Bush cranberry are two types of shrubbery that are popular and can grow well in this environment. Shrubs are an essential component of landscaping and can be used in combination with other plants to improve the appearance of your Calgary property.
- Landscaping Calgary properties requires that you water plants often. Watering landscaping plants before a freeze can lessen the damage caused by frigid temperatures. This is an easy alternative to help you avoid having frozen landscaping plants.
- Take some plants indoors. Tender plants that can not withstand extreme temperatures should be moved inside during the harshest months. This can be achieved by having green house with temperature control. This should only be used sparingly for landscaping plants that you want, but can not survive outdoors during the harshest weather months.
- Landscaping Calgary properties also requires that you use mulch. Mulch can act as a protector for many plants and lessen the occurrence of freezing. Mulch can only protect areas that it covers. Therefore, it is crucial to mulch at the base of the plant and all surrounding areas. However, mulch will not protect leaves.